Corporate Sustainability Fact Sheet
Sustainable Packaging Containers & Recycled Shipping Boxes
Serving Syracuse, Albany, Buffalo, Erie, and Cleveland
It is the policy of the Jamestown Container Companies to conduct its operations in a manner that is environmentally responsible and befitting a good corporate neighbor and citizen.
In accordance with this policy, Jamestown Container manages all phases of its business in a manner that minimizes any negative impact on the environment.
To further this policy, the Jamestown Container Companies are committed to the 5 following principles:
1. Jamestown Container shall operate its facilities in compliance with all applicable environmental, health and safety laws and regulations, in a way that is protective of the health and safety of its employees and the surrounding communities and environment.
2. Jamestown Container shall strive to be an environmental leader in the corrugated industry, by minimizing waste through reducing, reusing and recycling and by promoting sustainability efforts throughout the company.
3. Jamestown Container shall promote a workplace in which all employees are properly trained and educated to comply with company environmental, health and safety programs and procedures.
4. Jamestown Container shall work with its customers in ascertaining and meeting their environmental needs and goals consistent with Jamestown Container's environmental policy and sustainability programs.
5. Jamestown Container shall review this policy on a regular basis and shall establish goals for continuous improvement in the environmental, health and safety arena.
Corrugated Packaging has always used a completely renewable resource for its raw materials.
96% of all corrugated boxes are made with material supplied by certified fiber sourcing programs such as Sustainable Forestry Initiative ® (SFI), Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), and American Tree Farm System (ATFS). This is what makes corrugated fiber-based packaging the Sustainable Choice.
Jamestown Container Companies has four facilities in New York and Ohio. Three of these facilities manufacture corrugated packaging products. They are located in Rochester NY, Falconer NY and Macedonia OH. The forth facility, located in Buffalo NY, specializes in contract packaging and the distribution of packaging supplies.
All of our manufacturing equipment throughout our organization operates on electric power.
Close to 90% of the all the corrugated converted by Jamestown Container is 100% recycled, 99% post-consumer waste. This is due to our primary corrugated sheet supplier, Niagara Sheets, obtaining the vast majority of their paper from our Greenpac Mill and RockTenn's Solvay Mill. Both mills are state-of-the-art and only manufacture 100% recycled liner board and medium from OCC (old corrugated containers).
Contrary to this, a small percentage of our corrugated products will contain less than 100% recycled fiber. Some uncommon board grades can be as low as 26% recycled content.
Jamestown Container recovers approximately 95% of the post industrial corrugated waste generated during the manufacturing process. This waste is baled and returned to paper mills for recycling.
Corrugated is the single most recycled packaging material. 91 percent of corrugated produced in 2012 was recovered for recycling, and almost all of that material was recycled into new products.
Learn more by signing up for our weekly blog.